Sunday, February 16, 2014

Day 47: My Heart Rejoices in the Lord

Today I stayed home from church with this sweet boy. He has a non-contagious eye infection but I didn't want to worry everyone by putting him in the nursery and he is way too wiggly to keep with me in the service. I was a bit sad to stay home yet another week from my church family as I feel like I have missed being there due to sickness quite a bit lately. In staying home, however, I was blessed with the unique opportunity to read God's Word nearly uninterrupted for a few hours! (Thankfully Micah still takes a morning nap and is pretty content playing and exploring by himself when he is awake...especially when Daniel isn't here to take his toys from him!)

In January I began reading through the bible using a plan that is meant to take you through in 90 days (www.bible.com )but am because I am a slow reader I plan to cut the readings in half and do it in 6 months. This week I got a little behind due to my usual reading time not going as I planned. So I was able to catch up today and read even more than I needed to "catch up." Though it is still early on in my read through the bible (the 2nd time I've done this though the 1st time in such a short time span) I am being so blessed by my readings. So many dismiss the Old Testament as not important but I am learning so much about my God who never changes. It is incredible. I heartily recommend to any follower of Christ to read through the bible. If you can find 30 minutes in your day (or evening after the kids have gone to bed) you can read through the bible in 90 days (or in 6 months if your a slow reader like me!)

Here is a passage I was encouraged by today- It is the joyful prayer of a women who was blessed by the gracious hand of God when He gave her the son she had prayed for. If only I prayed more like this!


1 Samuel 2 
Hannah prayed:
My heart rejoices in the Lord;
my horn is lifted up by the Lord.
My mouth boasts over my enemies,
because I rejoice in Your salvation.
There is no one holy like the Lord.
There is no one besides You!
And there is no rock like our God.
Do not boast so proudly,
or let arrogant words come out of your mouth,
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
and actions are weighed by Him.
The bows of the warriors are broken,
but the feeble are clothed with strength.
Those who are full hire themselves out for food,
but those who are starving hunger no more.
The woman who is childless gives birth to seven,
but the woman with many sons pines away.
The Lord brings death and gives life;
He sends some to Sheol, and He raises others up.
The Lord brings poverty and gives wealth;
He humbles and He exalts.
He raises the poor from the dust
and lifts the needy from the garbage pile.
He seats them with noblemen
and gives them a throne of honor.[a]
For the foundations of the earth are the Lord’s;
He has set the world on them.
He guards the steps[b] of His faithful ones,
but the wicked perish in darkness,
for a man does not prevail by his own strength.
10 Those who oppose the Lord will be shattered;[c]
He will thunder in the heavens against them.
The Lord will judge the ends of the earth.
He will give power to His king;
He will lift up the horn of His anointed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey beautiful. I love when we "feel" disappointed in the things that we "can't" do and God turns those moments into blessings. I remember when I was so excited about going to church only to come out and find that my battery was dead. I was so upset and called my daughter to complain. Then God nudged me to go to the window and lo' and behold, people were being baptized on the beach. I cried and it took everything in me not to go and join them. Lol

    I'm loving the Youversion bible app. Such a cool reminder and I love how they send you an e-mail when you're "behind." I'm a slow reader too. I didn't understand the Old Testament in the begining of my walk with Jesus but now, I love it sooo much.

    I remember sharing Hannah's prayer with a friend (believer) who desparately wanted a baby and she'd never heard of Hannah. I was glad that God placed that on my heart and she was blessed to hear it. He did not bless her with another baby, but her life is still full of joy!

    Laura, I love the journey that you are taking with your family! It's awesome to watch and I'm blessed with the photos and knowing the faces behind them.

    Love in Christ,
    Neicy

    If you guys every find yourselves in need of a sitter, "call me!" Although I know that would rarely happen as your extended family is ginormous. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much ,Neicy! This walk through scripture is making such a great impact on my relationship with God. He truly is sovereign. And I am blessed to know you are enjoying my blog. Our story is nothing extravagant so it blows me away that anyone except maybe extended family would care to follow along. :)

      Delete